My recipes with lentils improve day by day. I like to eat it, when it’s being cooked the right way, looks good and tastes delicious.
The benefits of lentils never end. This is one of the best plant based protein source, and to my surprise my daughter loves it.
Unfortunately, when I made this dish, she couldn’t try it, because it was too spicy. Next time, I just need to change it a little bit, to let her enjoy this delicious dish with us.
I already said that I like to make something very easy, but at the same time the food should be healthy, delicious and takes the least time to make.
This recipe has it all, and its leftovers are even better than fresh cooked one.
Don’t forget about the best combination for lentil: rice. You definitely need to eat your lentil with grains. Pairing two incomplete protein foods together, such as lentils and whole grain rice, will form a complete protein. This is important if you happen to be a vegan or strict vegetarian. Even if you were to eat lentils and brown rice at different times of day, they still help build protein in the body. The key is to consume them within a 24-hour time frame.
I served it with brown rice, but you can use any kind of rice.
Red Curry Coconut Lentils.
- 1½ cups lentils, rinsed and picked over
- ½ large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- ½ tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- a few good shakes of cayenne pepper
- 1 14 ounce can tomato puree
- ¼ cup coconut milk or cream
- cilantro for garnishing
- rice for serving
- Cook the lentils according to directions. Drain and set aside.
- Pour the oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute for a few minutes until fragrant and golden. Add all the spices (curry paste, garam masala, curry powder, turmeric, cayenne, sugar, garlic, ginger) and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce; stir and simmer until smooth.
- Add the lentils and the cream. Stir to combine and simmer for another 15-20 minutes (the longer, the better)! Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.