The number of chemicals that you put on your skin and that are on their way into your body is amazing! What you put on in the shower can affect things beyond how your arms smell.
Did you know that your skin is your biggest organ? Most of the things that you put on your skin get absorbed and go into your body. Some of them stay near the surface, while others get absorbed into your blood stream and travel throughout your whole system.
When we talk about safe cosmetics, we aren’t just talking about make-up. The national campaigns for safe cosmetics talk about every personal product that you put on your body: deodorant, make-up, shampoo and conditioner, hair gel, nail polish, toothpaste, sunscreen, aftershave, cologne, the list goes on and on. Any personal care product or beauty product that girls or boys use is referred to as a cosmetic.
How can your shampoo or body wash not be safe when it’s supposed to help you stay clean? Right. The whole point of cosmetics – from toothpaste to sunscreen to chapstick – is to help you clean and protect your body. Unfortunately, in the past few decades, there have been large rises in chronic (long-lasting) diseases and changes in the way our bodies work.
Many scientists think that changes in our health – such as the increase in long-lasting diseases like cancer, puberty starting earlier, or reproductive problems in adult women – may be partly caused by all of the chemicals that we are exposed to every day.
How can this happen? Part of the reason is that there’s not enough government regulation in the cosmetic industry. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not have the same types of laws for things that we put on our body as it does for the things that we put in our body.
Without the government telling companies what they can and can’t put in their products, many companies pick chemicals that make their products smell better or look glossier without thinking about the health impacts of all those chemicals.
Safe Cosmetics are made from ingredients that have not been linked to cancer or birth defects. Doctors and environmental experts recommend that you avoid putting the chemicals listed below in your body.
Check around your house and see if any of your favorite cosmetics contain chemicals on this list.
- Butyl Acetate: prevents nail polish from chipping
- Butylate Hydroxytoluene: prevents colors from fading and changing too quickly
- Coal Tar: dissolves dead skin cells and controls itching in shampoo and hair dye
- Cocamide/Lauramide DEA: causes foaming in shampoo and bath products
- Formaldehyde: disinfectant and preservative in deodorant, nail polish, soap, shampoo, shaving cream
- Diazolidinyl Urea: helps the disinfectants (like formaldehyde) work
- Ethyl Acetate: liquid in nail polish, mascara, tooth whitening, perfume
- Parabens: group of chemicals that are preservatives and don’t allow bacteria to grow in your cosmetics
- Petrolateum (Petroleum): makes lipsticks shine, creams smooth, and softens skin
- Treithanolamine: keeps lotions, shaving cream, soaps, shampoos, and bath powders from clumping
- Triclosan: prevents bacteria on your hands from growing in your cosmetics, like on bars of soaps or deodorant
- Toluene: liquid part of nail polish and hair dye that makes it stick to your hair and nails and look glossy
- Talc: absorbs moisture and prevents powders like eye shadow, blush, deodorant from clumping in the containers
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate: helps the cosmetics stick to your skin
- Propylene glycol: keeps products from melting when it is too hot or freezing when it is too cold
- Phthalates: keeps color and scents dissolved in the nail polish, perfume, hair spray, and others
Safe cosmetics do not contain these chemicals (and many others). Check the label on the back of your cosmetics containers to see if your product is safe!
Here is my top 5 safe cosmetic list, that I regularly use:
An Amazonian clay smart mascara that instinctively treats your unique lash concerns- working overtime to keep lashes hydrated, intact, healthier, and stronger, while delivering the appearance of voluminous lashes.
Formulated without : parabens, mineral oil, phthalates, sodium lauryl sulfates, gluten.
My favorite mascara!!!!! I have very sensitive eyes, and with this mascara I’ve never gotten any problems!!!!
This ORGANIC nail polish remover is soybean oil based and derived from American farm crops. It is packaged in biodegradable and recyclable materials and is NON TOXIC and NON CARCINOGENIC.
It is on sale in Whole Foods now, so you can get it for 50% off.
They also have great non-toxic nail polishes, that I am planning to try.
Mineral Fusion is dedicated to making nail care healthy and effective while contributing to the wellbeing of our community.
Free of formaldehyde, toluene, camphor and butyl phthalate.
This nail polish on last at Whole Foods now too.
Made without:Animal Derived Ingredients or Animal Testing, Parabens, Artificial Dyes, Petroleum Compounds including Mineral Oil,Petrolatum and Paraffin,SLS,PEGS, PPG, MEA, DEA or TEA,Glycols,Phthalates,EDTA.
Add a soft, weightless bounce to curls with this feather-light natural leave-in conditioner. Just a small amount of this silicone-free cream softens and moisturizes curly hair, making it silky smooth to the touch. Infused with 5 desert derived botanicals and coconut oil to strengthen hair and repair damage from environmental stressors and styling.
Elma and Sana golden argan oil 1 oz blue glass bottle with dropper 100% natural raw cosmetic argan oil is the perfect oil for the face, body, hair, and nails. Ideal for all skin and hair types, argan oil improves skin hydration. This non-greasy formula is fragrance-free and organically cold-pressed. Made from the nuts of the Moroccan argan tree, It is high in vitamin E and essential fatty ideal for all skin and hair types. Improve skin’s hydration. Non-greasy 100% raw organic cold pressed. 100% natural fragrance free. Benefits, Non-greasy, fast absorbing and moisturizes softens and nourishes eliminates frizz and adds shine to hair strengthen soft and brittle nails imported directly from ecocert certified women’s cooperatives from morocco.
The best skin moisturizer!!!!!