for the vanilla layers:
2 cups gluten-free oat flour
1 cup blanched almond flour
1/2 cup coconut sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs, whisked
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil, melted + slightly cooled
4 tablespoons vanilla
for the chocolate layer:
3/4 cups gluten-free oat flour
1/2 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tablespoons coconut sugar
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, whisked
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
6 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil, melted + slightly cooled
- Preheat your oven to 350F and grease and flour all sides of cake pans.
- For the vanilla layers: In a large bowl stir your dry ingredients together until well combined.
- In another mixing bowl whisk together the wet ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir together with a large wooden spoon until just combined.
- For the chocolate layer: Follow directions 2-4 including the cocoa powder with the dry ingredients.
- Pour evenly into the cake pans and bake the vanilla layers for 22-26 minutes and the chocolate layer for 23-28 minutes. Test with a toothpick for doneness.
- Let cool for 20 minutes, slide a knife along the edge, then carefully turn out onto a cooling rack and let fully cool before frosting.
- Frost the first layer, place the 2nd on top, then repeat. Lightly push the frosting to the edge so it drips down the sides on the top layer. Add sprinkles if desired.
for the frosting:
2 cups raw cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours
1/2 – 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 – 2/3 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
pinch of salt